09 Aug 2013
Today ABC Classics release the recording of Conversations With Ghosts – a project combining the talents of Paul Kelly, recorder virtuoso Genevieve Lacey, composer James Ledger and musicians from the Australian National Academy of Music (ANAM).
Commissioned by ANAM, the pieces were written by Paul Kelly and James Ledger, based on poems by Les Murray, W.B. Yeats, Judith Wright, Lord Alfred Tennyson and others, as well as some new lyrics from Paul. Together they have created a rich and atmospheric 12-track work that touches on the themes of death and mortality.
The recording was captured at Elisabeth Murdoch Hall in Melbourne during a performance in October 2012. You can purchase the album here.
In addition to the release of the recording, Conversations With Ghosts reprises its 2012 run of dates, with additional performances in September 2013:
Wednesday 4 September
Melbourne Recital Hall, Melbourne VIC
Saturday 7 September
QPAC, Brisbane QLD
Sunday 8 September
Perth Concert Hall, Perth WA
1. The Lake of Innisfree (W.B. Yeats) 8:07
2. Bound To Follow (Paul Kelly) 4:33
3. One Need not be a Chamber to be Haunted (Emily Dickinson) 3:17
4. Sailing to Byzantium (W.B. Yeats) 4:33
5. Night Ride (Paul Kelly) 3:52
6. Five Bells (Kenneth Slessor) 12:18
7. Basking Shark (Norman MacCaig) 4:40
8. One in a Lifetime, Snow (Les Murray) 2:39
9. Woman to Man (Judith Wright) 3:22
10. The Chimes at Midnight (Paul Kelly) 3:48
11. Ring Out Wild Bells (from 'In Memoriam') (Lord Alfred Tennyson) 5:25
12. I'm Not Afraid of the Dark Anymore – Innisfree reprise (Paul Kelly) 4:22